Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: You want to win 25k right?

Posty McPosterson DeXteR ll noYpi's Avatar
    Contest B!

*Wishlist: Blue Retros/Turkey Hat/Old Bow - Oh and SPLATS!! :O*
    Apartment link :
    Click here

Contest B!
    YoAngels♥ SnookieHv, xX Clarissa Xx, laurak-fin, sweetkitty, KimberTN, chimikatz etc. Thank You!

Contest A and i have a question is the pictures are gonna be from yoville or google?
    Biggest Goal/Wish:Cupid Bow and Arrow
    Apartment Link:http://apps.facebook.com/yoville/ind...572940&poe=200
    Name in game=BurningHeart

Contest C:

Well, I love Christmas because, above any other reason, its a celebration that reunites families and it brings in the air a spirit of love and giving!
    I come from Greece. Here, we have lots of customs that may be differ from the usuall known ones!
    The beginnings of Christmas in Greece go back to the time of St. Nicholas-the Greek version of Santa, who was known as the patron saint of sailors and has his feast day on December 6th, when children receive small gifts similar to Christmas gift-giving elsewhere.. Sailing was always very important for greek people, from ancient times (when Greeks were sailing in all the Mediterranean Sea, creating colonies) till today (with greek navy being one of the strongests worldwide). So, according to Greek tradition, his clothes were soaked with brine, his beard drenched with sal****er, and his face is covered with perspiration because he had been fighting the storms and waves to reach sinking ships and rescue drowning men from the sea. Even today there is still an old custom where many ships never leave port without a St. Nicholas icon carried in the boat.

In Greek homes, Christmas trees are not commonly used, but recently have become more popular. Instead, most Greeks decorate a wooden ship!

In almost every house though- the main symbol of the season is a shallow wooden bowl with a piece of wire is suspended across the rim, from that hangs a sprig of basil wrapped around a wooden cross. A small amount of water is kept in the bowl to keep the basil alive and fresh. Once a day, a family member, usually the mother, dips the cross and basil into some holy water and uses it to sprinkle water in each room of the house. This ritual is believed to keep the 'Kallikantzaroi' (bad spirits) away. There are a number of beliefs connected with these spirits, which are supposed to be a species of goblins who appear only during the 12-day period from Christmas to the Epiphany (January 6). These creatures are believed to come from the center of the earth and to slip into people's house through the chimney. More mischievous than actually evil, the Kallikantzaroi do things like extinguish fires, ride astride people's backs, braid horses' tails, and sour the milk. To further repel the undesirable sprites, the hearth is kept burning day and night throughout the twelve days.
    During the season, every house is preparing the traditional cookies, kourabiedes!
    Legend has it that these buttery shortbreads were crescent-shaped during the Turkish occupation of Greece, in deference to the Turkish flag. However, while crescent-shaped kourabiedes can still be found, after Greece regained independence from Turkey people in many parts of the country resumed making them in thick slabs, balls or shaped like little pears. No holiday or special-occasion feast would be complete without them, and they are usually on hand to offer to guests.

Another custom is that on Christmas Eve children travel from house to house offering good wishes and singing 'kalanda', the equivalent of Christmas carols. The children often accompany the songs using small metal triangles and little clay drums. Afterwards, the children are usually given sweets or coins in appreciation.
    Gifts are finally exchanged on St. Basil's Day (January 1). On this day the "renewal of waters" also takes place, a ritual in which all water jugs in the house are emptied and refilled with new "St. Basil's Water." The ceremony is often accompanied by offerings to the 'naiads', spirits of springs and fountains.
    The 12 days of Christmas ends on January 6th, when we celebrate the baptism of Christ. On that day, after the church ceremony, the priest with the crowd goes to the sea and throws in the water a cross. Then all the young men dive in the water, struggling to find the cross. The one that finds it is supposed to have good luck during the year!

So, overall, I love Christmas because, even if they are celebrated differently in every country, its a chance to remember that the important things are love and the gift of life!

. . . bump for you . . .
    Last edited by imyoursforever; 12-07-2010 at 04:24 PM.
    Wishlist: Megan Glasses, Megan Heart, Nomi Malone Makeup Nomi Malone Wings, Nomi Malone Crown, Nomi Malone Arrow, White headphones
    Keys - http://apps.facebook.com/yoville/ind...ving-171389834

Contest A

Blonde Summer Perm, Black Autumn hat, Black Fall Bow, Any Costume, Any Hat, Diva Hoops, Black Low-Rise Shorts, White Shorts With Black Bandana, Purple Makeup, Handheld King Monkey Victim, Smoky Holder, Bunny Teddy, Handheld Green Drink, Female Black Wings, Sailor Swimsuit, Pink Sunglasses Keys-http://apps.facebook.com/yoville/index.php?d=APLiving-9022508

contest c!!

Those are soo cute!!
    Wishlist: Megan Glasses, Megan Heart, Nomi Malone Makeup Nomi Malone Wings, Nomi Malone Crown, Nomi Malone Arrow, White headphones
    Keys - http://apps.facebook.com/yoville/ind...ving-171389834

Contest A

Here's some pictures that seems lovely to me
    Biggest Goal/Wish:Cupid Bow and Arrow
    Apartment Link:http://apps.facebook.com/yoville/ind...572940&poe=200
    Name in game=BurningHeart

Christmas

When I was little, the Winter was my favourite season, because as soon as the clocks turned back and the night began to fall much quicker, and the weather turned bitterly cold, I would get so excited for Christmas. It was a simply magical time of the year, and my brother and I would decorate the Christmas tree and hang tinsel above the pictures. This was when I lived in a big city in West Yorkshire, England. We rarely got snow, and when we did it was very little, but I didn't used to care and I'd go outside and make snowmen and hurl snowballs at windows. My grandparents would visit on Christmas day with another few sacks of presents for us and we'd all eat Christmas dinner. We used to get lots of presents but that was when I used to get lots of toys and dolls. It was so special because I'd get to see relatives I rarely had the chance to see and my brother and I didn't have a single row. I am thirteen now, and we moved house three years ago and we now live in the north-east of England, in the country side, after our grandparents moved to a seaside town now far from where we live now. My parents don't work and we live on a farm so it's the kind of dream they wanted. I still love it when the clocks turn back and the snow falls because we get ever such a lot of snow and there are plenty of snow days because the roads are too bad but I understand that it is havoc for other people who live in the area. My brother is nearly eighteen and doesn't speak to me much, however at Christmas things in the house are happy and he is almost like he was when he was younger. I am the one who decorates the tree and I love Christmas because I get to see my relatives, like before. I also love to see YoVille at Christmas because all of the festive furniture and clothing gets brought in and people are in good spirits. It's around this time last year in which I started playing the game, so I guess I shall have to hold a mini party in order to celebrate! God bless us, every one! xx

Contest C!

+ Reply to Thread