+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Draw Fashions in MS Paint: Part 1, Coloring

How to Draw Fashions in MS Paint: Part 1, Coloring

Hello everyone! I’m Claire, nice to meet you

I once heard that every time you learn something new it puts a crease in your brain. So be aware that when you die and they do an autopsy on your brain, you will be embarrassed if it looks like a plum instead of a prune. So let’s learn about MS Paint and put some creases on your plum!

I love drawing outfits on my avatar, but I only know how to use MS Paint. That’s OK because there’s a lot you can do with MS Paint! Here are some of the outfits I’ve designed, and if you like them then be sure to keep reading so you can learn how to do it too.

Just so no one gets lost, I’m going to assume you’ve never used MS Paint and don’t even know where it is on your computer. So let’s start with that. By the way, I use a PC and have never used a Mac, so for you Mac users out there I just hope the two are similar enough that you can find your way with the instructions in this thread.

Look in the lower left corner of your screen, and click on the very first icon there. That is your “Start” icon and it will bring up a list of programs that are on your computer. Most PCs automatically come with MS Paint, so after clicking the “Start” icon, click on “Paint” in the list. A screen should open that looks something like the one below. And voila, you are in MS Paint! Is that a new brain crease I see? Excellent!

Now let’s have some fun Google “coloring pages” and find something you would like to color. Right click on your chosen picture and then click “Copy” or “Copy Image” in the list that appears. Now open up Paint and press “Ctrl V”. That means to hold down the “Ctrl” key (on the lower left of your keyboard) and then hold down the letter “V” at the same time. This will put a copy of your coloring page onto your Paint screen. I chose a centurion helmet to use as an example.

Whoa, that is way too big! No problem, just click on the “View” tab (I circled it in red below so you can find it) and then click on “Zoom Out” until your picture is the size you want. It will still save as a large picture, it just looks small on screen.

Now for the fun part—we get to color like we did when we were kids. Weeee! See all those prettily colored squares in the top right corner? Click on your favorite one and notice that the “Color 1” box becomes the color you clicked on. Now click on the paint bucket tool—it looks like a paint bucket that is tipped so that red paint is running out of it. I have it circled below so you know what to look for. Now click on an area in your drawing. Just look at all that pretty color! It’s so much faster than when you used Crayolas in kindergarten

If this happens…

…don’t freak out! Just click on your back arrow (circled below) and it will undo what you just did. This happens when your outline isn’t completely closed, as shown by the red arrow below. The color is like a rambunctious toddler who runs out of the house any time the door is left open. Simply close the door tightly and the color will stay inside. I’ll show you two ways to close the gap.

Last edited by Claire00048; 02-05-2011 at 04:54 PM.

The first tool you can use to close the gap is the brush tool, and it looks like a brush. The second tool you can use is the pencil tool, and it looks like a pencil. Weird, huh?

Look at the little colored boxes in the upper right corner again, and click on the black one to match the outline color in your picture. Then click on either the brush or pencil tool, and then on the “Size” icon (circled below). Pick a size from the menu that pops up and then draw a line by holding down your left mouse button while pulling your cursor across the screen. Then pick another size and draw a line. Try all the sizes to see which one matches your outline the best. When you find the best size, use it to close the gap in your picture. You can always go back to your “View” tab and zoom in to make your picture bigger so you can see what you’re doing better.

You can get rid of your trial strokes by using the back arrow as mentioned earlier, or you can use the “Eraser” tool, circled in red below. If you click on the eraser tool you can also pick a size from the size menu just like you did for the pen and pencil tools. I set my eraser to the third thickest line and then, as you can see below, I dragged my mouse through my trial pen strokes. (Dragging means to hold down your left mouse button while moving your mouse around.) As you can see, part of each line was erased.

A quicker way to erase something is to click on the “Select” icon (circled below) and then drag your mouse from above the part you want to erase to below it on the opposite side. This puts a dotted line around it. Then you can either click on the “Cut” icon or hit your keyboard’s delete key.

Are you enjoying yourselves? I hope so! And may I just say Congratulations—by now your brain has the cutest little puckers all over it You are prunifying quite nicely.

OK, let’s get back to the fun stuff! Continue picking colors and filling in each area of your picture with the paint bucket tool. If you don’t see a color in the little boxes that you want, you have an infinite choice of colors in the “Edit Colors” menu. Just click on the “Edit Colors” icon (circled below) and a box will open up. The red arrow below points to the crosshairs that you can drag around with your mouse to any color you want. The color in the crosshairs shows up in the box labeled “Color/Solid”. The slider arrow to the right can be dragged up or down to make the color lighter or darker. How cool is that! You can pick any color in existence!

When you get the color you want, click “OK” and that color will appear in one of the empty boxes under the little mini color boxes in the top right corner, so you can click on it again next time you want it. Go ahead and color the rest of your picture. If you fill an area with one color and decide you don’t like it, just use the paint bucket tool to fill it with a different color. Go as realistic or as wild as you want, it’s up to you. Knock yourself out!

Of course you will want to sign this great masterpiece you have created, so let me show you how to type some text in Paint. First click on the “Text” tool, shown below circled in red.

Then drag your mouse to form a dashed box, just like you did above with the select tool. After you do this a text tab will open up as shown below. It will give you the option of picking a text style and size. I picked Lucida Handwriting in size 10. Clicking on the tiny little arrows will show you all the fonts and sizes you have available on your computer. Now just start typing, and what you type will appear inside the dashed box. When you’re done, just click somewhere to the side and the dashed box will disappear, but your text will remain. There! You are immortalized!

I suppose this would be a great time to teach you how to save your work. I can sense that some of you need to take a pee break right about now, and I’m afraid while you’re gone your late Aunt Matilda’s adopted cat will jump up on your keyboard and delete all of your hard work. That would be horrifying, and we simply can’t let that happen. So cross your legs tightly and hold on for just a few more seconds while I tell you how to save.

Click on the blue tab, circled below in red.

Last edited by Claire00048; 02-10-2011 at 05:23 PM.

When the menu opens up, hover over “Save as” and another menu will appear on the side. Click on “PNG picture”. The great thing about saving your pictures as PNGs is that they will always stay crisp and clear.

Pick a place to save your picture to, and remember where you save it! Your desktop would be an easy place to find, or your “My Pictures” folder would be a logical place to store it.

Give your picture a name by typing it in the blank in the lower left corner. Hit enter and voila! You have a saved pic. If you get a message that you will lose your transparency, that’s OK—you’re not making a transparent picture anyway. Now run to the bathroom before you have an unfortunate accident. I’ll wait here.

*humming Jeopardy song while waiting*

Hey, welcome back Now I’m going to ask you to close your Paint program by clicking on the X in the red box in the upper right corner. That way I can show you how to open it again, now that it has been saved. To open a saved file, open Paint as you did before, click on the blue tab in the upper left corner as you did before, and then click on “Open”. Find the folder where you saved your picture and click on it, and then click on the picture.

Your picture is now back on your Paint screen, but you will notice that you have lost the new colors you added to the mini boxes in the top right corner. They don’t save along with your picture. If you haven’t finished your picture and you need those colors again, you can get them back, as long as you already used them somewhere in your picture. Here’s how.

Click on the “Color Picker” tool as shown below. It looks like an eyedropper. Then click on the color in your picture that you want to use again. Now click on the “Edit colors” icon as before, and without moving anything click on “OK”. That color has once again appeared in one of the mini boxes. Now you can use it as often as you want until you close Paint again.

Ding, ding, ding, bonus round! You can stick with Door Number 1-- stop now and enjoy your picture as is. Or you can choose Door Number 2-- go the extra mile and make your picture look really professional. This involves just one extra step, but it might take some time.

Have you noticed that your colors don’t fill in an area completely—that there is a little white line around the edges? This happens because the black outlines are pixilated—that means there isn’t a clear step from black to white. I enlarged a section of my helmet to show you what I mean:

When I used my paint bucket, the purple filled in all the white area. But there were some pixels between the white space and the black outline that maybe looked white, but were actually various shades of gray, so they didn’t get filled in. (A pixel is one of the teeny tiny squares that you can see here.) To give your picture a finished look, you need to use your pencil or pen tool to color in those gray pixels.
    So is it better to use the pencil or the pen? I learned MS Paint by trial and error, and it took me a while to figure out the difference between the two. I discovered that when you use the pencil, the edges come out crisp and clear, and this gives a jagged appearance. When you use the pen, the edges are pixilated, and this gives a smooth appearance. I have enlarged a pencil and a pen stroke in the picture below so you can see what I mean.

The pencil stroke looks jagged because it isn’t pixilated to blend in with the surrounding color (in this case white). This doesn’t look as nice, but is easier if you change the color later—perhaps you will want to make the same outfit in different colors. If you used the pencil tool to make the outfit, all you would have to do is use your paint bucket tool to flood it with new color.

The pen stroke looks much smoother because its edges have blended into the surrounding color via pixilation. In other words, the edges of the line are actually various shades of purple and white mixed together. This looks better. But each time you want to change the color of the outfit you will have the same problem you had above with your coloring page picture—you will have to painstakingly color over the pixels that didn’t take the paint bucket’s color.
    Let me demonstrate what happens when you use the pencil and pen tools and then decide to change colors. Below I made two diamond shapes, one with the pencil tool and the other with the pen tool. The pen tool diamond looks a little smoother because the pixels on the outer edge of the diamond are not yellow or purple, but various shades of yellow and purple blended together.

Now I used my paint bucket tool to change the colors to gray and white. The diamond made with the pencil tool looks fine, but the one made with the pen tool still has a residue around it made of purple-yellow pixels. If this were an outfit I was creating, I would have to now take the time to recolor the diamond’s edge to match my new color choices.

So it’s up to you. Do you prefer smooth edges, or easy color changes? You will have to make that call for yourself each time you use the pen or pencil tool. My choice would be to use the pen tool for smooth lines and take the extra time to recolor the pixilated edges. It’s more tedious, but it gives a more professional look.
    Oh my goodness, have you looked at your brain lately? Aw, it’s so cute! It looks like a little shar pei puppy, all wrinkly and adorable You have really learned a lot! I have just one more thing to tell you about and then I’ll show you how all this great information will help you draw fashions on your avatar.
    Last edited by Claire00048; 02-10-2011 at 05:26 PM.

If your picture originally was very large and you zoomed out to work on it, you might want to save a smaller copy of it to post on forums or whatever. To make your pic permanently smaller, click on the “Resize” icon, shown circled in red below.

The menu below will open up. Drag your mouse across the “100” in the “Horizontal” blank and type in a smaller number, like 65 or 50. The smaller the number, the smaller your picture will be. Notice that when you change the “Horizontal” number, the “Vertical” number changes automatically to keep your picture in proportion. Click “OK” and if your pic is too big or too small, just hit your back arrow, open the “Resize” menu again, and adjust the number you type in. When you have it just right, go ahead and save it. But you might want to give it a different name than before so you don’t save over your large copy. That way you can keep both a large and a small version.

Wow, we’re done! Let’s take a look at what you’ve learned and how you can apply that to designing a fashion on an avatar.

First of all you will need an enlarged avatar to work on. There are several threads offering some, or you can start a new thread asking for one. (Check out Regina's "Dolls for Designs!" thread.) Once you find one, copy it, bring it into your Paint program, and zoom it to a workable size, just like you did above for your coloring page.

Next, pick a great color for your design from the mini boxes or from the Edit Colors menu, or by using the color picker tool, just as you learned above. Then draw an outline on top of the avatar showing the basic shape of your outfit. This can be done in three different ways.

The first way is to select your pen or pencil tool, choose a stroke size, and draw the outline by dragging your mouse around.

The second way is to use the curve tool. I haven't used this method, but my understanding is that you draw a line with it, and then click somewhere on the line and drag to bow it out into a curve. There is a great YouTube online that demonstrates this technique. You can find it by searching "Drawing Son Goku in MS Paint." Also hayleyhail gives pictures on how to do hair this way in her tutorial. Here is a picture of the curve tool:

The third way is to buy a pen and tablet set. They can be expensive, but I heard someone say they bought one for $20 (but I don't know how good that one would be). The pen is a wireless mouse that's shaped like a pencil. When you draw with the pen on the tablet, what you draw appears on your computer screen. This is the method I use. It's the most like drawing on a piece of paper with a pencil and seems very natural to me. You just select MS Paint's pen or pencil tool, choose a stroke size, and draw the outline on your tablet.

Whichever method you use (or combination of methods), don’t forget about the several ways you learned to erase, in case you make a mistake.

Now fill in your design using the paint bucket tool.

And finally, refine any pixilated edges until you are satisfied. Add details, sign your work, save it, and maybe make a smaller size and save that one too.

What a great start to a YoVille fashion design career! With these basics and your own imagination and creativity you can have hours of fun! I've made another tutorial that shows how to shade your fashions. You can find it here: http://forums.yoville.com/showthread...shions+shading

I’m also thinking about making a tutorial that will show you how to make your clothes look like different kinds of fabrics. Let me know if you’re interested in that.

But that’s for another day—your brain is beginning to look like it has soaked in the bathtub too long. We don’t want to overdo it! It might get mushy and fall apart

You are welcome to leave any comments or questions below, and also to share the pictures you colored using this tutorial. I would enjoy that I hope you have lots and lots of fun!
    Last edited by Claire00048; 07-29-2012 at 12:18 PM.

Awesome!!! Thank you for sharing this!! I still want your Tarantula costume lol!!!

Home Collector REGINA AOF Damsel's Avatar
    I love this tutorial Claire! Thanks but ...What version of MS Paint you have...that is a new version right?

Thank you for making this tutorial. Very informative and I had a blast reading it!

Treat me like a Queen, and I'll treat you like a King.
    Treat me like a game, and I'll show you how it's played!

The new bish in town or so I've heard....
    Posting so I can find this easily again. thanks for posting. You make it sound so simple. I'm gonna give it a try and put a wrinkle or two up stairs.......LOL

Now this is tutorial! You should be teacher lol. I have a different version of Paint but still would have no problem to go through all the steps since you made everything so clear. Amazing job!
    Cesto u tisini svjetla nebodera dizu se visoko,
    Tvornice utonule u san, kroz samocu cujem jecaj sirena...
    Tko je zgazio gospodju Mjesec? Mrzim kada sama setam nocu...

Quote Originally Posted by Aidamarie View Post
    Awesome!!! Thank you for sharing this!! I still want your Tarantula costume lol!!!
    ahaha, you're too sweet, Aidamarie

Quote Originally Posted by REGINA AOF Damsel View Post
    I love this tutorial Claire! Thanks but ...What version of MS Paint you have...that is a new version right?
    You're welcome It's version 6.1--it's the one that came with Windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamonds n Drama View Post
    Thank you for making this tutorial. Very informative and I had a blast reading it!
    I'm glad you enjoyed it--I tried to make it a little fun

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon Lady View Post
    Posting so I can find this easily again. thanks for posting. You make it sound so simple. I'm gonna give it a try and put a wrinkle or two up stairs.......LOL
    I'm so glad you liked it! I'd love to see what you make!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonita View Post
    Now this is tutorial! You should be teacher lol. I have a different version of Paint but still would have no problem to go through all the steps since you made everything so clear. Amazing job!
    Thank you so much, Bonita!
    Last edited by Claire00048; 02-09-2011 at 02:33 PM.

+ Reply to Thread